Showing the Face of Mercy
“Mercy is the very foundation of the Church’s life. All of her pastoral activity should be caught up in the tenderness she makes present to believers: Nothing in her preaching and in her witness to the world can be lacking in mercy. The Church’s very credibility is seen in how she shows merciful and compassionate love.”
(Pope Francis – Misericordiae Vultus #10
Every member of our Diocese can make a difference and play their part in the growth and mission of our Church in Western Sydney and the Mountains. Our faith is not only communal but personal as well. The whole body is enriched by the gifts of each and every member.
Regardless of age, ethnic background, gifts or experience, Faith in Our Future outlines a variety of ways in which individuals can get involved in our common mission, many of these in our parish communities but also in broader areas of our life as a Diocese.
For instance, individuals may choose to get involved in the mission of CatholicCare Social Services as an official ambassador or volunteer, enrol in a formation or spirituality course at the Institute for Mission, get involved in actions of justice and solidarity through our Social Justice Office, foster vocations in your community with the support of our Vocations Office, or get involved with Catholic education and the Parents’ Representative Council. Here are some places to get started:
- Year of Mercy, Parramatta Resources: The ancient prophet Isaiah heard the call to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favour; to bring radical mercy into the lives of the broken-hearted, the captive, the imprisoned and the oppressed. (Isaiah 61). Later, Jesus himself was anointed for and moved by this same mission of mercy! (Luke 4:18-19). And today, all of us men, women and young people who form the Church, are again being called to make this mission real, as Pope Francis reminds us through this Year of Mercy. Mercy has a face!
- Social Justice, Diocesan Support: To be light and salt for the world requires us to work for justice. It is the role of the Social Justice Office of the Diocese of Parramatta to identify, reflect on and respond to issues which affect society. The office disseminates information and possibilities for action to local parishes and liaises with other welfare and social justice organisations.
- Caritas Australia: The international aid and development organisation of the Catholic Church in Australia: delivering long-term development programs, helping people regardless of ethnicity, religion or political beliefs; working with the poorest of the poor; helping people help themselves.
- Catholic Earthcare: The ecological agency for the Catholic Church in Australia. They enable a loving and sustainable relationship with the natural world through environmental education, research, national networks, advocacy and transformation. Through their work they promote the understanding that our environment is sacred and endangered and must be protected and sustained for present and future generations.
- Sydney Alliance brings together diverse community organisations, unions and religious organisations to advance the common good and achieve a fair, just and sustainable city. They do this by providing opportunities for people to have a say in decisions that affect them, their families and everyone working and living in Sydney. The Sydney Alliance is a non-party political organisation.
Advice and the contact details for each of our agencies and ministries are available on this website. The most essential thing is to get involved, lending your gifts and talents to the faith and mission of our Diocese!